A sneak peek at Masala dosas in Aunty's kitchen!

Well my first story is about Shashi aunty, a dear friend, guide, and a great cook!

Luckily we are neighbors and its fun to peep and talk to her through her kitchen window. Hers is the first house on the ground floor in our block and I cross her kitchen every time I go out! Not a day goes by without a wave or a chit chat. I just can't help peeping in and calling out, and invariably I find her in the kitchen bent on her slab weaving out that perfect recipe that delights her family!

So, I asked her once, what inspires you to cook...and she spontaneously says, my family! I love to cook for them!

Mind you, she is a meticulous cook! Shortcuts don't work in her kitchen and she likes it all home made...ghee, paneer, butter, lassi, laddoo, barfi, pasta, dosa..organic herbs too...I am borrowing curry leaves and basil every now n then.

 Her philosophy: Either make it from the scratch or don't make it. That means no readymade ingredients that can be made at home.


So I am invited for a dosa treat today! Those impeccable masala dosas with the perfect sambhar and yummy coconut chutney. I've got to learn this from her and so she shares with me her authentic South Indian masala dosa recipe, right from the scratch;  and allows me to share it with you!

Yes, its right from the scratch - so, for all of you, who buy dosa batter and idli powder from the market, its DIY from now on!

Masala dosa

Ingredients (for 15 dosas):  

Dosa batter:
2 cups basmati rice
1 cup urad dal (washed)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
 salt to taste

Potato masala
6-7 boiled potatoes
2 tbsp oil
3 onions (chopped)
1 tsp mustard seeds
some curry leaves
dry red chillies
1 pinch asfoetida
1/2 tsp chana dal
salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp dry coriander powder

Method:

Dosa batter

1. Rinse rice and dal 2-3 times and soak them separately for three hours (water should be a one finger digit above the rice/ dal in bowl). Add fenugreek seeds while soaking (you can add in one of the bowls).
2. After three hours, grind rice and dal separately in a grinder, add water to dal as required for grinding. After grinding, mix the paste together and leave overnight at room temperature.
3. During summer, place it inside the refrigerator (next morning) to avoid over-fermentation.

Your dosa batter is ready, you can add salt to taste!

Potato masala:

1. Mash  the potatoes
2. Place the pan on the stove, pour oil. As the oil heats up, add asfoetida, chana dal, mustard seeds and red chillies, add chopped onions, saute them until tender.
3. Add curry leaves, turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix.
4. Add mashed potatoes and salt to taste. Mix well and cook together for a few minutes

Your masala is done!

Dosa 

  1. Now place a non-stick dosa flat tawa on the stove. 
  2. Take dosa batter in a deep ladle and pour on the tawa and spread it with steel bowl base. 
  3. Sprinkle some desi ghee on the edges and in the middle and cover it with a lid to get crispy brown plain dosa. 
  4.  For masala dosa, fill some potato masala in the dosa and fold the dosa and your masala dosa is ready to serve and eat!

 







 




Comments

  1. Wao !! Arshia You wrote her story and made her feel proud . My sister in law is same and she does not share a single recipe ,she invites me when every thing is already cooked and I go there to eat and wash the dishes 50 percent and get tired .We have very heavy bowls and pans to clean when dish washer washes plates and spoons . It is hard to wash them . But I want to help her . We have to share some work . I make cake for her birthday . She is very nice cook , She says that it is her pleasure to invite me for food . I tried to cook watching U tube videos . But still cannot compare with her . Thank you for sharing your friend's recipe .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts